Saturday 29 October 2011

The most important thing

Once upon a time, not that long ago, I heard a whakatauki/proverb from Maori culture that tends to dog me wherever I go. The shortened version of the proverb is He aha te mea nui o te ao? What is the greatest thing in the world? The answer is he tangata, he tangata, he tangata. People, people, people.

This proverb has the ability to pop up completely unexpected and unsolicited and slap me over the head like a stout piece of timber. Every time it does I remember how important people are.

When I go to the supermarket and see the automatic checkout that has a machine instead of a person manning it.

When I meet someone who genuinely seems interested in me and hearing what I have to say.

When someone laughs at my jokes.

When someone takes time to answer my questions kindly and helpfully.

When someone welcomes me into their home and shares a meal with me.

When one of my friends tells me about travelling on a train overseas and strangers who did not speak English shared food with her.

When someone mocks something I have said.

When someone interrupts me.

When someone goes out of their way to help me.

Sometimes it is not always easy to treat everyone you meet with respect and with a servant attitude to put their needs before your own but I think it is a noble asiration to at least try. Afterall he aha te mea nui o te ao? He tangata, he tangata, he tangata.

No comments:

Post a Comment